CALIBRATING THE COMPASS
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MUSEUM / WASHINGTON, DC
- The National Geographic Museum is located in the highly competitive market of Washington, DC with some of the top museums in the U.S.
- Attendance for museum is underperforming against projections and profitability.
- National Geographic is a very well known brand, but not a museum brand.
- Location of museum is off traditional tourist routes.
- After extensive analysis of pricing, attendance, seasonality, TGG made determination that tickets were under priced.
- Analysis of sales patterns indicated direct correlation to tourism patterns, yet zip code analysis was mixed between locals and tourists.
- Media mix was weighted into the wrong mediums and poorly flighted.
- A new pricing and marketing strategy was implemented using TGG’s recommendations.
- National Geographic Museum increased sales over 15% in the first year.
- Marketing leverage was increased 500%.
- Tourism partnership yielded increased closure rates within the tourism category.